Thursday, 6 August 2015

Sourdough

I have recently got into the habit of making bread from making slow rise and fancied trying to make a sour dough starter using  this particular suggestion. It suggests just leaving your water and flour mix for yeast to naturally find it but I had just foraged some plums and decided to kick it off by adding a couple. The silvery grey covering on fruit such as plums is y'know.

 

I was rather excited to find that there were a small amount of bubbles that had ben generated overnight!


Reading the article again I duly fed this entity and after several days it was not only actively generating bubbles but also changing physically too. The aroma was subtly changing from a doughy smell to a noticeable sour twang which is, of course, what it should be. 


An so to using it to start a loaf off. It makes a pleasing and biddable dough and is prepared much like a 'standard' loaf with proving and knocking back.


It was baked with a tray of water in the oven with it and came out with a superb crispy crust. The bubbles were big, like sour dough should be, but not as widespread as I'd hoped which may be a lack of effort on my part during the kneading process (my usual slow rise dough doesn't get kneaded).

The taste was a noticeably robust sourness which was initially a big hit on my palate, but once I became used to it I really enjoyed it. Sour dough off the bucket list thanks to plums!








No comments:

Post a Comment