Saturday 21 March 2015

Mobile Phone First Aid App


Professional bushcraft instructor Paul Kirtley recently posted a link from REAL First Aid (this links is are to their Facebook pages) to social media so I can't take credit for discovering this information, but felt it was important to share.

It concerns an individual helping you if you are injured or ill and the ability for them to access your mobile phone to further the help process. The piece quite rightly points out that having in case of emergency or ICE numbers on your mobile phone is totally irrelevant if you lock your phone.

 This includes me and this oversight hit me like a ton of bricks and this is why I am sharing this fact that Paul has flagged up from REAL First Aid. It is already a feature on iPhones and activation of it can be found here, and for Android users like me it is available as a quick and easy download from hereSo how does it work and what does it look like and do?



Once you download the app it sets the phone up so that it throws up a pre-screen before the numbers can be accessed to pop in the code. If you look at the left hand picture you'll see a small medical ID screen icon appears just under the time, which accesses the medical app and therefore any details contained in it. The right hand side picture shows part of the information page which includes name, date of birth, organ donation status, address (although it doesn't quite get mine correct and an vary by as much as 12 house numbers), height, weight, blood type, medical conditions, allergies and reactions, medications and medical notes.

Just out the the right hand side picture in the top corner are three tabs to edit, call the emergency services and to upgrade to a premium app. I don't know how much it is but I've included alternative contact numbers in the medical conditions section, and as i'm in rude health I don't feel a fancier app is needed but maybe someone with some medical history would want to consider this. The only down side for me is that I use my mobile as an alarm when I get up early for work and it's another screen to get past to silence it!

I must just finish by reiterating that credit must go to Paul for flagging this REAL First Aid information up. if you are interested the link also posted a useful mobile phone information page on the REAL First Aid website.

















No comments:

Post a Comment