Saturday 19 December 2020

Foraged Seasonal Wreath

 


In 2016 during my paid work sabbatical  I went to The World of Bushcraft* in Bedford to attend a World of Bushcraft Wreath Workshop and this year I decided to revisit this as a project, utilising forageable items. The workshop one utilised a wood steamer  whereas I envisaged using whippy little willow branches bound together.

  

I absolutely wanted this wreath to be made of 100% forageable so to bind the Willow together I used Lime bast cordage that I'd made. I measured the space by my door and a dinner plate was the radius I was looking at which allowed a couple of inches of extra diameter as I  added  the foliage. 


The plate was also the same diameter as a bucket I had so once I'd made the wreath frame by staggering the Willow lengths and tapering the ends to allow them to lie flat when tied and the frame slipped onto the bucket to allow it to dry a little in a circular shape.

 

When I revisited it I was pleased with the shape and then set about adding green foliage three weeks before Christmas. I lined it with a thin layer of Lylandii to help hide the wood, then used Spruce, Nordman Fir branches (from a Christmas tree supplier), Yew and Rosemary from my garden.


The World of Bushcraft one was tied in a circular fashion  in clumps tied to the Hazel, this one followed in a similar style. I shaved a point on each foliage piece and stuck it in facing the same way (this means clockwise or anti/ counter clockwise).


And after around forty minutes of sticking my wife and I had a decent looking green wreath. We sat on the floor worked together with care being taken not to slice pieces of Yew into each other's tea! I hung it in my garage with the view to rechecking and squidging it as needed.


So a week before Christmas we went out and foraged some embellishment. Rosehips, Ivy, Holly, Snowberries, Larch cones and Mistletoe was the order of the day. The Mistletoe was purchased from a shop due to the fact that whilst it is very common where I live it is way up in the trees despite the fact that I said I'd hold my wife's coat whilst she shinned up, ever the gent. I could have travelled some distance to get some but decided to take the convenient option and the stuff I bought is ethically sourced.



Again we went with the same process of pointing the ends and sticking them in with the same orientation. The hanging loop was made with a loopmof the afore mentioned Lime bast cordage. A very satisfying project which is fairly easy too.

*The World of Bushcraft has since moved to the Peak District.









https://youtu.be/bOkZ5RUfgJQ

No comments:

Post a Comment